Kozak/Cossack

Robert Orr colkitto at ROGERS.COM
Sat Dec 6 22:15:31 UTC 2008

"Cossack" has even moved away from purely East Slavic connotations already
in English.

cf. Cossacks to the rescue! on a website I recently read actually refers to
the Communist Party of Canada's endorsement of the recent failed "coup
d'etat"  (written by someone who I don't think knows Russian)

check out http://www.smalldeadanimals.com/

and scroll down to
December 3, 2008
CRACK
and "Kozak" is already used in an unexpected source in English

http://conancompletist.forumactif.com/conan-the-barbarian-f3/hyborian-world-historical-parallels-t863.htm

"an you imagine a Conan movie depicting Conan like pirates of the
carribean?????Wearing 16th cent clothing and carry7ng baskethilt blades?I'm
sure some of the hardcore REH fans would even relish a Kozak Conan too.As
much as I enjoy stories like the black stranger (I have to admit I prefer
DeCamps Tranicos lol!!!!),that Conan is to me the legendary entity and the
real guy is always the guy who destroyed the snake cult about whom the other
(REH) stories evolve.........i guess I'm ready for some REH
anathema-aphorism,too,right?Sorry but I find the 1st movie truly superior to
the stories."

http://conan.wikia.com/wiki/A_Witch_Shall_Be_Born

cf. also the lovely hybrid "Olgerd Vladislav" and the "Zaporoskans".