Kozak/Cossack

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Sun Dec 7 13:07:55 UTC 2008

Of course it is a political matter - your politics, not mine. You have
failed to answer my question as to why Ukrainian nationalists have
decided not only to claim ownership of all Cossacks but also to dictate
how their name should be spelled in latin alphabets, regardless of
language (the combinations ko- and -ak in English and French for example
are uncommon and ugly, c, ck, and qu- are much more common). And what
about the Russian-speaking Don Cossacks who expanded Muscovy eastwards
and manned the forts of Siberia, and fought for or rebelled against the
Moscow tsar - most of them were never within a thousand miles of the
Ukraine. Are we supposed to re-write history and literature as well? Do
we have to describe Ermak, Pugachev and Stenka Razin as kozaki,
Ukrainian cowboys? Do we have to rewrite Tennyson's  'Charge of the
Light Brigade'? (I note, however, that Byron in Don Juan also uses the
form Kozack, as well as Cossacque).
By all means be proud of your cultural heritage, by all means try to
re-balance the Great Russian view of history - I applaud all that, but
stop trying to bully others into alien linguistic norms for spurious
reasons. Your introduction of the notion of purity ('Ukrainian and thus
pure') into the argument is really quite alarming. This precisely why
'political correctness' has got a bad name.
Will Ryan