Kozak/Cossack

Evgeny Steiner es9 at SOAS.AC.UK
Sun Dec 7 17:48:29 UTC 2008

The post-Soviet renaming is researched (with many hilarious examples - but
possibly not as striking as re-baptizing of the poor Russian prince Vladimir
into [the] Ukrainian Volodymyr) in the book of Gasan Gusejnov:
http://speakrus.ru/gg/gus_tom-1-14-10td.pdf

ES

2008/12/7 Valentino, Russell <russell-valentino at uiowa.edu>

> This example ("St. Volodymyr, ruler of Ukraine") makes perfect
> anachronistic sense. One merely has to accept the implication that the
> nation of Ukraine existed in 988...
>
> The phenomenon of renaming in post-Communist space has received serious
> scholarly attention. It bears some similarities but is not equivalent to
> renaming in post-colonial space (Bombay, Peking, Bangui). If anyone knows of
> a comparative study or studies of these two phenomena, please pass it/them
> on.
>

> Russell Scott Valentino
> Associate Professor and Chair
> Department of Cinema and Comparative Literature
> University of Iowa
> 319.335.2827

Professor Evgeny Steiner
Senior Research Associate
Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures
SOAS, University of London
Brunei Gallery, B401
Russell Square
London WC1H 0XG