Ukraine, etc.

George Kalbouss kalbouss at MAC.COM
Mon Dec 8 03:11:12 UTC 2008

I find all of this conversation fascinating and most helpful.  I helped
institute the
teaching of Ukrainian Culture at Ohio State back in the late 1990's and
feel it should
be required of every graduate student planning a career in teaching
Slavic and, yes,
Russian culture and literature on the university level.

	One question for my colleagues that has been nagging me.  Regarding
the name
"Ukraine,"  why haven't the Ukrainians advocated for the "big one," for
themselves, i.e.,
Rus'?  It's totally legitimate historically.  The Belarusians did it
when they became independent.
I would love to see a map of Eastern Europe where one would find
Belarus, Rus and, to the east of
them, Russia.  Funny, I don't see it advocated in the Ukrainian
diaspora, and I wonder why.

George Kalbouss