Kozak/Cossack language, 2

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Tue Dec 9 08:46:53 UTC 2008

(cont.)

(3) The kozak Samiilo Velychko (1620-1728), who worked in the
chancellery of Vasyl' Kochubei, left us a monumental, three volume
chronicle, titled "Skazaniie o voini kosatskoi z poliakamy, cherez
Zinovia Bohdana Khmelnytskoho ... v osmi litekh tochyvshaiasia,"
This work is a critical response to the versified narrative, Wojna
domowa z Kozaki i Tatary,  by the Polish writer Samuel Twardowski, and
various other Kozak chronicles.  For a glimpse into Velychko's
language, visit:
<http://litopys.org.ua/old18/old18_33.htm>
In the introduction to the second volume, which is not available on
the internet, Velychko refers to his country as Ukraina-Malorosiiska
or Kozatska Ukraina, and sometimes uses the modifiers Kozako-Ukrainska
Malorosiiska.  He also refers to his people as "narod nash Kozako
Ruskii."  Velychko's language differs somewhat from the Ruthenian
spoken in mid-seventeenth century. It reflects the dialect of left-
bank Ukraine after more than fifty years of its severance from the
Polish Lithuanian Commonwealth.  On aspects of this chronicle, see
Marko Pavlyshyn, "Writings in Ukraine and European Identity,"  Themes
and Variations in Slavic Languages and Cultures, ed. by David N. Wells
(2008) pp. 1-22
< http://www.cerc.unimelb.edu.au/anzsa/MSK%20volume.pdf>

I can cite countless other examples of writings by and for the
Kozaky / Cossacks of Ukraine.  Instead, I will refer you to:
Serhii Plokhy, The Cossacks and Religion in Early Modern Ukraine
(Oxford University Press, 2001),
Frank Sysyn, "Recovering the Ancient and Recent Past: The Shaping of
Memory and Identity in Early Modern Ukraine,"
Eighteenth-Century Studies - Volume 35, Number 1, Fall 2001, pp. 77-84

Plokhy's book and Sysyn's article are not devoted to language issues,
but do shed considerable light on the culture of Kozaky / Cossacks.

I will leave 19th c. texts for another discussion.

Now let me cite something I witnessed in the winter of 1990, when I
was conducting research in Kyiv.  An ensemble of Kuban' Kozaky /
Cossacks was on tour, and performed at the prestigious Polytechnical
Institute.  The auditorium was completely full. Most of the songs they
sang were in Ukrainian, albeit slightly Russified.  Among the songs
they sang, there was one about hetman Doroshenko (1621).  And, much to
my surprise, they concluded the concert by singing the national anthem
of Ukraine, "Shche ne vmerla Ukraïna."  The audience stood up and sang
with them.  This was before Ukraine's declaration of independence.

Since then, ensembles from the Kuban' have regularly attended the
annual folk festivals that take place in Ukraine.  However, in the
summer of 2008, the Russian government forbade all performers from the
Kuban'  to travel abroad. Thus, there were no "kubans'ki kozaky" at
the Rivne festival.

Regards,

Natalia Pylypiuk
(University of Alberta)

p.s. I will return to the Volodymyr / Vladimir thread after correcting
exams.