KOTLOVAN; pisat'sya na pokoi

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Fri Dec 12 14:45:26 UTC 2008

Dear John, and all,

I like John Dunn's suggestion (below) in many way.  My only reservation is
that the peasant sees the collective farm as offering not so much a quiet
life as something close to death.  So our latest (losing the idea of
retirement but hinting at 'the peace of the grave') is this:

‘Put my mind at rest, comrade chief.  Shall I sign up for the peace of the
collective farm, or shall I wait?’
‘Sign up, of course, or I’ll be sending you off to the ocean.’

The ocean, John, is more or less literal.  The kulaks are to be put on a
raft and floated off downstream...

Thanks to all who have answered!

R.