Platonov: kak na tesnom dvore

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Mon Dec 22 21:47:41 UTC 2008

Dear Karen,

Thanks very much for your thoughts.  As often happens, I did think of
something new immediately after sending my last message to SEELANGS.  This
is what I have now:

As for anyone who had managed to eat his stock of life in advance or else
released it into collective imprisonment – he lay in an empty coffin and
lived there as if confined in a snug home, sensing enclosed peace.

Part of the difficulty with Platonov is that he writes on many levels at
once – literal and metaphorical.  Your ‘exhale it into a kind of prison’
loses the literal reality of the peasants surrendering their animals into
the collective farm.

Best wishes,

Robert