Political Correctness in Russia

Valery Belyanin vbelyanin at GMAIL.COM
Tue Dec 23 18:18:04 UTC 2008

Trying to understand what to do with political correctness, I came across
the expressionрелигиозная тоталитарная секта =_religioznaja totalitarnaja
sekta_ which I was asked to translate into English.

I remember that the word _sekta_ was not recommended for usage by UNESCO (at
least I was told so this during the court session in 2001 in Moscow when I
made a psycholinguistic analysis of the texts of Jehova witnesses'
documents). I had to use Замкнутое религиозное объединение тоталитарного
типа =_zamknutoje religioznoe objedinenije totalitarnogo tipa_but that was
rather clumsy.

My question is:What is the politically correct translation of Russian
expression религиозная тоталитарная секта = _religioznaja totalitarnaja
sekta_

Thank you.

--
С наилучшими пожеланиями,
Валерий Белянин / Valeri Belianine / Valery Belyanin