Graduate Student Conference "Confutati"

eric r laursen eric.laursen at M.CC.UTAH.EDU
Mon Dec 29 17:12:04 UTC 2008

Confutati: A Graduate School Symposium

Abstracts due January 23, 2009

TrAns/misSioNs interrogates the movement and reception of texts (missives, literatures, tropes, figures), questioning what is lost, gained, transformed, or fixed as signifiers move across boundaries of nation and of identity. We seek papers that address issues about transmission pertinent to all students of national and comparative literature today, and are especially interested in approaches that engage with questions of boundaries (geographic, linguistic, ideological, disciplinary, etc.) and their disruption.

Our 5th annual graduate symposium opens many lines of inquiry: how ideas, texts, and people breech boundaries; how to navigate difference without negating it in literature and in life; how comparative scholarly methods serve or disserve textual transmission; how new methodologies of linkage and comparison remap the world, etc.

Keynote speaker: Francoise Lionnet, Professor of Comparative Literature, French and Francophone Studies at UCLA. Distinguished faculty at the African Studies Center of UCLA's International Institute.

For more info e-mail confutati at gmail.com, or visit www.hum.utah.edu/languages/?pageId=520.