curiosity

colkitto colkitto at ROGERS.COM
Fri Feb 1 14:37:08 UTC 2008

I don't know the history of this one, but it's by no means impossible

ethnonyms can jump great distances and from language to language, and these
processes often provide us with excellent examples of crazy semantic change
and folk etymologies.

cf. Indians

or

Serbs and Sorbs

or

 the different connotations of kafir for Islamists and South Africans .....

etc.