Gulag

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sun Feb 3 15:40:54 UTC 2008

This person must have had a Program and courses in it, and also a
Master's exam. So the question is mostly about the program, not that
individual. It could simply be a reflection of the politics of those
professors. I myself taught in 1984-1985 in a small college in Iowa
where the instructors insisted on teaching the Soviet history by
Soviet textbooks and Russian contemporary literature using the books
translated and published by Progress publishing House. 1984, pre–
Gorbachev, remember? When I uttered the word "truth" I heard a long
philosophical explanation as to what is truth. Calvinism was also
featured there.

They were quite a bit to the left of Gorbachev, and what he was
saying a year or two later must have upset their cart; he was more
anti–Soviet than they ever have been.

No, the word Gulag would not be uttered there either.

On Feb 3, 2008, at 9:41 AM, Deborah Hoffman wrote:

> That even tops the (Master's degreed) person I met who had never
> heard the word Gulag because she "wasn't even born yet." Has there
> been some serious shift in educational policy since I left my B.A.
> behind 15 years ago? (Presumably web designer staff for a large
> concern such as Woolworth's also have the equivalent of an
> undergraduate degree). I distinctly remember learning about many
> things that happened before I was born, even (especially?) in the
> required classes that were not my major field of study. I was never
> a fan of E.D. Hirsch, but I am really starting to wonder.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington DC. 20016