Gulag

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon Feb 4 03:00:18 UTC 2008

Not just Amnesty International, the word Gulag has entered (sadly)
English language (another Russian contribution after pogrom). See a
few book titles:

American gulag : inside U.S. immigration prisons / Mark Dow. 2004
Golden gulag : prisons, surplus, crisis, and opposition in
globalizing California / Ruth Wilson Gilmore. 2007
America's invisible Gulag : a biography of German American internment
& exclusion in World War II : memory and history / Stephen Fox. 2000
Castro's gulag : the politics of terror / by Frank Calzón. 1979

On Feb 3, 2008, at 8:40 PM, Deborah Hoffman wrote:

> Not for anything will I wade into this debate, though I am enjoying
> the exchange. In bringing the example of Gulag I was more thinking
> of the term as a cultural referent that one (ideally) should be
> able to identify in the U.S., especially since Amnesty
> International referred only several years ago to U.S. detention
> centers as a gulag.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW