Ignorance

Timothy Sergay tsergay at ALBANY.EDU
Mon Feb 4 17:37:00 UTC 2008

Dear Kore Gleason and SEELANGERs,

When Kornei Chukovskii was confronted with the stark linguistic and
cultural ignorance of the Russian generations following his own, his
response, his unspoken outcry to those very young people was "Vas
obokrali!" You've been cheated of a rich inheritance, you've been robbed.
He was sympathetic, in other words, not accusatory. I'm not so sure that a
similar spirit does not animate observations of ignorance in today's young
people. What is under indictment, that is, is surely not the humanity of
these young people and not their intellectual capacity, but an educational
system and a predominant set of cultural values.

Best wishes,

Tim Sergay

... our inequalities in “intelligence” make us no less equal in humanity.