Ignorance

A S aswear at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 4 20:41:45 UTC 2008

Dear SEELANGers,

Yes, Kore that is a nice comment, but I am not sure that the issue
being discussed is a question of intelligence. I think it has been
more concentrated on the lack or gaps in general knowledge amongst
educated people which can very well be a separate issue.

I do not think anyone is disturbed by the ignorance of gulags and the
location of oceans among the illiterate or even the literate for whom
these things are not necessarily immediately relevant. People are
taken aback that students of Russian/Soviet studies have never heard
the word 'gulag' or that American students who are taught geography
in school don't know where the Atlantic Ocean is. Incidentally, just
because you take someone to experience the ocean for the first time
does not mean they then know where it is located.

There is a second part to this thread which is about the general
ignorance of middle class Americans whom we generally assume to have
gone to school to obtain a minimum level of general knowledge, i.e.
geography, etc. I agree that Americans do not have a monopoly on such
ignorance, but it is a recurring theme abroad for two reasons.

1) The United States is perceived to be wealthy and all which that
entails in terms of living standards, opportunity, social cohesion
(whether accurate or not). So ignorance of where the USA is on a map
by Americans themselves is striking for outsiders.

2) In the last 8-12 years there is a greater sense in the
international community that the United States has engaged in
increased unilateral global actions to advance its government's
interests. Thus when middle class Americans can't locate the country
they've invaded on a map (despite extensive coverage in the media),
not only is it disturbing, it gives outsiders the chance to gloat
over a detected weakness in a nation that has absolute hegemony in
the world.

I have no doubt that the same type of ignorance could be found among
many a country and its people. Unfortunately, at the present moment,
America is generally the one that speaks the loudest and carries a
very menacing and big stick on the world stage. Thus it and its
people are under greater scrutiny.

D.S.