education and literacy (was Lolita)

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Wed Feb 6 13:49:07 UTC 2008

You may or not be comforted to learn that today's edition of La Repubblica has a front-page headline (this in the midst of a major political crisis) and three pages of articles on the question of alleged 'illiteracy' among Italian graduates.  The story can be found on-line and is the first item on the following page:

http://www.repubblica.it/scuola_e_universita/index.html

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: Olga Meerson <meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU>
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 21:17:56 -0500
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] education and literacy (was Lolita)

What can we expect of a culture where becoming a teacher is not PRESTIGIOUS enough for our current students in first-rate colleges (because salaries are the only measurement of success)! In intellectual matters, as well as in all others, this country has stopped believing that those who receive have the obligation to give or to further transmit. Where I teach, students are, admittedly, especially prone to having bourgeois ambitions. I wonder if it is significantly different anywhere else, for the current generation of students. Please prove me wrong and give me hope!
o.m.

John Dunn
Honorary Research Fellow, SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow, Scotland

Address:
Via Carolina Coronedi Berti 6
40137 Bologna