Terms "gerund" and "verbal adverb"

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Feb 6 18:35:08 UTC 2008

On Feb 6, 2008, at 1:25 PM, gladney at UIUC.EDU wrote:

> The 3rd person plural for the e/o and i conjugations in the
> conservative Russian described by Jakobson in 1948 was distinct on
> the surface only under accent (unaccented, it was "vidjut" and
> "ljubjut").  Below the surface, they differ because the the ending
> (/nt/) has a different effect on thematic o than on thematic i.

It may have been in the old Moscow pronunciation. The last person I
met who spoke this way was Agniya Sergeevna Rzhevskaya in the 70's
who emigrated from the Soviet Union during WWII which undoubtedly
helped her preserve the old phonetics.

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University
4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW