The Birch - Spring 2008

Ester Murdukhayeva em2328 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Feb 13 23:15:13 UTC 2008

Dear all,

Thank you to all those who have asked for copies of back issues of the
Birch. I apologize for the terrible delay in sending them out -- we have
been having postage troubles and are trying to get out all the orders as
quickly as possible over the next week. I thank you so much for your
patience.

Currently, we are in the midst of a very busy semester. Our first event,
a discussion of Prokofiev's /The Gambler/ (in conjunction with the
production of The Metropolitan Opera) is in the process of being
organized. We hope to hold it in March and are looking to feature both
an academic discussion as well as a performance by singers from the
production. If you would like any details about attending the event (it
will be held on Columbia University's campus) or helping with its
publicity, please email me. I would love to hear your ideas!

Secondly, given the great response for back issues, we are considering
starting to sell subscriptions for THE BIRCH. We would greatly
appreciate feedback on this front - would this be something that your
department or organization is interested in, what would reasonable rates
be, etc? Again, I'd love to hear your ideas, so please email me.

Finally, we are also putting together our Spring 2008 issue. If you
would please publicize the following call for submissions amongst your
undergraduate students, we would greatly appreciate it. We received many
great submissions in the Fall from a variety of schools and look forward
to receiving more.

Best,

Ester Murdukhayeva
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Birch, the nation's first and only undergraduate journal of Eastern
European and Eurasian culture and affairs, now in it's 4th year of
publication, is looking for submissions for its Spring 2008 issues. All
undergraduates are welcome to submit any of the following:
- Original literary works
- Literary criticism
- Cultural and political essays
- Original photography.

Our Fall 2007 issue, as well as all our archived issues are available at
http://www.thebirchonline.org. Please help to make this a great issue by
encouraging all undergraduates to submit pieces.

*The deadline for submission is March 19th.* They should be emailed to
Editor in Chief, Ester Murdukhayeva, at em2328 at columbia.edu
<mailto:em2328 at columbia.edu>.