Baron Miunchausen in Russia

Slivkin, Yevgeniy A. Yevgeniy.A.Slivkin-1 at OU.EDU
Thu Feb 21 20:42:04 UTC 2008

Dear All,

Could anyone suggest where I could look for information about the Russian translation of Raspe or Burger's "Baron Munchausen's Narrative of his Marvellous Travels..."  in the 19th century.
All I know is that in 1791 there was N. P. Osipov's free translation "Ne liubo - ne slushai, a lgat' ne meshai" in which all mention of Russia was edited out and in the 1860's there was an edition "Putevye chudesnye prikliucheniia barona Miunkhgauzena" published in London by Herzen's friend Nikolas Triubner and brought to Russia illegally.

Is there anything in between these two dates?

May be someone also knows about French translation of "Munchausen" made in Pushkin's period (in Dostoevsky's time there was Gautier's edition of 1862 with Dore's illustrations).

I will be grateful for any tips.

Yevgeny Slivkin, Ph.D.
Department of Modern Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics
University of Oklahoma