"Stalin's Ghost"

Jerry Katsell jerry3 at ROADRUNNER.COM
Sat Feb 23 00:12:57 UTC 2008

Dear All,

I think Martin Cruz Smith must have come across the so-called
"Don Juan List," ("Don-Zhuansky spisok"), that Pushkin compiled in 1829,
containing the first names of all his paramours to that time. One might
speculate that at that randy-shaggy time Pushkin was the horniest of
them all!

Cheers,

Jerry Katsell

PS For Pushkinists--has the identity of the lady who appears on the list
as
	"N.N." been solved?

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Emily Saunders
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 3:48 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] "Stalin's Ghost"

For my senior seminar as an undergraduate I had to present a talk on
the correspondence that took place between Pushkin and his friends.  I
do not remember the name of the source book that I took most of my
information from -- it was a collection of letters with editorial
comments -- but the gist of the matter so far as I remember it was 1)
Pushkin and Co. fully expected their letters to be published as
literary works at some point; 2) it seemed to be in vogue to talk a
lot and in detail about sex and bodily functions; and 3) there was a
lot of "shagging" going on.  One letter in particular comes to mind,
though I cannot remember the author, where the writer commented on
visits from friend X, who mentioned where he had slept last night, and
from Pushkin, who mentioned where he hadn't.  Perhaps if there was/is
no actual diary to bring to an "artsy salon" it was this general
content that Cruz Smith had in mind.

Emily Saunders