Old Believers, Greta Garbo, etc.

Holdeman, Jeffrey D. jeffhold at INDIANA.EDU
Mon Feb 25 04:33:30 UTC 2008

Dear Prof. Hill,

I don't think we really need to bring Old Believers into this (as much
as I would like to).

My first guess is that the -GIJ pronunciation might just be Garbo's
perception (or maybe even yours?) of the rising of stressed -é- between
two soft consonants: IPA [e], perceptually between [E] (Eng. eh) and
[i] (Eng. ee).  In some speakers it rises enough to be far enough even
from [e] to be perceived as [i].

Some Russian names have doublet forms: Russian (secular) Sergéi and
Slavonic (church/calendrical) Sérgii (compare Tolstoy's "Otets Sergii",
not Sergei).  We also have Alekséi/Aléksii and Andréi/Ándrii.  Old
Believers have their baptismal names from the church calendar, but they
(at least those Old Believers in Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, and the US
with whom I work) usually use secular forms (and usually diminutives of
those) in daily use.  (And some--especially in the US--are given
secular names that have little or nothing to do with their baptismal
names.)  If Garbo were using a church form (which would be strange),
then the stress would be on the first syllable, not on the second
(ser-GIJ), as you have indicated.

Jeff

Dr. Jeffrey D. Holdeman
Indiana University, Bloomington