AW: [SEELANGS] CYRILLIC FONT PROBLEM

FIEGUTH Rolf rolf.fieguth at UNIFR.CH
Mon Feb 25 15:54:02 UTC 2008

Dear Stephen,

you might have a problem of char code switching. Look in your e-mail systems for an option like char code or char option, and activate thereunder "cyrillic Windows", or something similar you may find there, before writing in Russian. You should of course likewise activate "Russian" on your language bar. Maybe this helps.
Best wishes,

Rolf Fieguth

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list im Auftrag von STEPHEN PEARL
Gesendet: Mo 25.02.:21
An: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Betreff: [SEELANGS] CYRILLIC FONT PROBLEM

Dear SEELANGERS,
   I would be grateful for any help or advice about the following
 Cyrillic font problem.
   I use Microsoft Windows XP, Version 2002, and work on Verizon
 (Yahoo) and Gmail for e-mail.
  Until recently I was able to write e-mails in Cyrillic[Russian] on
 both Verizon and Gmail by switching from EN to RU on my "language bar".
 Suddenly and unaccountably, my attempts to write in Cyrillic [Russian]
 were rewarded instead by the appearance on the screen of  a series of
 numbers, Roman letters and punctuation marks.
  For example, I am now switching to "RU" from "EN" and am typing
  QWERTY which would normally yield the Cyrillic letters corresponding to
 QWERTY on the keyboard; instead I now get : 9FC:5=. ;
  I do not have the same problem with the other language fonts on my
 "language bar".
  Can anyone offer a diagnosis and cure for this malady?  Thank you,
  Stephen Pearl