Short Adjective Inquiry

Katya Jordan yvj2p at VIRGINIA.EDU
Wed Feb 27 02:14:57 UTC 2008

"Sinij" is definitely not the only adjective that has short forms, but it is
the only one that has an interesting form.  However, if you're looking for
other short-form color adjectives, they seem to be used only in set
expressions, poetry, and proverbs, if they are used at all: Khorosh
vinograd, da zelen;  Ne krasna izba uglami, a krasna pirogami, just to name
a couple.

When it comes to ordinary everyday speech, they are used rarely, and
"zholty" and "sine" would sound just as awkward as "golubo" and "fioletov."
 The only short color adjective that I do use and I heard others use is
"belo" in a phrase "na ulitse belym-belo."

Katya Jordan

Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of Virginia
109 New Cabell Hall / PO Box 400783
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4783
Tel: (434) 924-3548   FAX: (434) 982-2744