song with imperatives

Timothy Sergay tsergay at ALBANY.EDU
Thu Feb 28 15:42:58 UTC 2008

Dear Jennifer and SEELANGERs,

Steven Clancy's suggestion put me in mind of a few other
"imperative-intensive" songs: For sheer frequency and variety of
imperatives, I would highly recommend another rap hit, "Delai, kak ia" by
Bogdan Titomir, also dating to the 90s. See the lyrics at
http://www.realmusic.ru/songs/240748/. You-tube has some good videos of
Titomir performing this song. he group Liube has two that come to mind:
"Ne valiai duraka, Amerika" and especially the ecologically friendly
anthem "Ne gubite, muzhiki," which upon several listenings will deeply
engrave the forms RUBITE and GUBITE deeply into anyone's mind (for lyrics:
http://startown.ru/songs/song/5118/). The one I've been thinking of using
in class but haven't yet is the song by Mikael Tariverdiev from the film
"Bol'shaia ruda" "Tam, gde sosny..." with the refrain "Ty ne pechal'sia,
ty ne proshchaisia..." (also a line "Ty oklikni, ia oglianus'"). For that
song, see
http://metromir.ru/songs/?action=title&title_id=102266&author_id=7504.

Best wishes,
Tim Sergay