Query re: Medvedev pronunciation

Donna Griesenbeck griesenb at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Feb 29 15:53:38 UTC 2008

Dear Colleagues,

I'm posting this message on behalf of William Safire's research
assistant; please reply directly to her if you wish to weigh in.

Thanks,

Donna Griesenbeck

------

Hi,

My name is Juliet Mohnkern and I am William Safire's research assistant
for On Language in the New York Times magazine.  Currently I have been
working on finding a layman's phonetic rendering of Medvedev .

Mr. Safire has asked me to find a consensus among experts about said
pronunciation.  In that vein, would you agree with the below phonetic
spelling of Medvedev?

*Mid-VYE-def *

I know this spelling does not offer the precision that the IPA or other
phonetic systems could, but we are hoping for a description that most
readers will be able to understand.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at
juliet.mohnkern at gmail.com <mailto:juliet.mohnkern at gmail.com>.

Thank you again,

Juliet

--