Dostoevsky question.

Pendergast, J. Mr DFL John.Pendergast at USMA.EDU
Fri Feb 29 20:20:05 UTC 2008

Dear Dr Polowy-

Lovely to see you posting on the AATSEEL BB.  I'm back from Kuwait and
retired from the Army.  West Point has re-hired me, so now I'm teaching
again, except at the moment, I'm teaching German.  I really love it.  I
needed to sharpen my skills again, and nothing does it like standing in
front of a bunch of people who expect you to know what you're talking
about!  I still work closely with the Russian office and am very happy
to count Megan Murphy-Lee as a colleague.  We're taking a small group of
Russian students to a Russian competition in April.

Anyway, just a few lines to catch up.  Hope all is well in sunny Tucson.

-John

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of tpolowy at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:58 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Dostoevsky question.

Hello Everyone!

I am posting this query for a colleague who is teaching a course in
semiotics:

"We are reading Voloshinov's "Toward a Marxist philosophy of language"
in my semiotics course and he cites a passage from Dostoevsky's Diary of
a Writer in which Dostoevsky talks about a group of drunks whose
conversation consists entirely of one obscene word repeated with
different intonations and therefore different meanings. Does anyone
happen to know what particular obscene word this was? Or has it remained
"unprintable"?"

If you know or have any ideas as to what this word might be,please reply
off-list to me at tpolowy at email.arizona.edu

Thank you!

Teresa Polowy, Head
Russian and Slavic Studies