New York Times Article and Russian-Language Blog

Nora Favorov norafavorov at BELLSOUTH.NET
Tue Jun 3 17:55:34 UTC 2008

Dear List,
There is a very interesting, albeit upsetting, article in the NY Times today:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/03/world/europe/03russia.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5070&en=6544cdfde9cc1835&ex=1213156800&emc=eta1

What particularly caught my eye was an invitation on the NYT website, in
Russian, for Russian readers to participate in a Russian language blog. A
banner at the top of the blog urges Russians: Расскажи американцам и всему
миру о России (Rasskazhi amerikantsam i vsemu miru o Rossii).

They even offer to act as intermediaries between monolingual Russians and
Americans by translating portions of the dialog.

Now let's just hope they don't take a cue from the Chinese and block access
to the such points of free interaction.

Forgive me if this is old news, but I just noticed it and found it fascinating.

Nora Favorov