" Tavriia" = "Crimea"?

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Wed Jun 4 06:40:07 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues &  Prof Fisher:

My impression is that the Crimean Peninsula was formerly called "Tavriia."
Hence the hyphenated name of the famous Tsarist hero "Kniaz' Potemkin-
Tavricheskii" (18th cen.?), for whom Eisensteiin's battleship had been named.
I.e., "Prince Potemkin of the Crimea"....

 (Compare also "Laurence of Arabia." "Semenov-Tiansianskii," etc.)

Best wishes to all,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.

Date: Wed 4 Jun 00:38:13 CDT 2008
From: <LISTSERV at BAMA.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: GETPOST SEELANGS
To: "Steven P. Hill" <s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU>

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:32:16 -0400
From: Anne Fisher <Anne.Fisher at WILLIAMS.EDU>
Subject: philatelic help?

Dear SEELANGers,

I have been asked to help decipher some cancelled Soviet stamps, but
can't. To me the cancellation stamps look like they say "YALTATAVRG"
and "CHECHERSKMOGIL" or "CHECHERSKMOGUL". The names of the two towns
Yalta and Chechersk are clear enough, but what do the continuations
mean?

Thank you for any leads, and I'd be happy to forward the scans
themselves to any interested philatelists.

Anne O. Fisher
Visiting Assistant Professor of Russian
Williams College
Department of German and Russian