Chekhov's grravestone

Franklin Sciacca fsciacca at HAMILTON.EDU
Thu Jun 12 15:30:36 UTC 2008

The four circles seem to be a stylized Art Nouveau variant of/homage to
a type of medieval stone cross in Novgorod (I've seen other similar
crosses in other regions too, some carved in wood).  Look at the photo
at
http://incommunion.org/articles/previous-issues/issue-37/forgiving-all-by-the-resurrection
(you need to scroll down a bit-- I'm not quite sure what to make of the
claim that this is influenced by Celtic cross design).
Best,  Frank Sciacca

For those who have never seen the headstone, here is a detailed photo:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_kllGtFLrywY/RtxdrdcTObI/AAAAAAAABRE/fADthSCJBbg/
s1600-h/Moscow+296.jpg

--
Franklin Sciacca