Human cloning

Katherine Bowers k-bowers at NORTHWESTERN.EDU
Thu Jun 12 18:47:21 UTC 2008

Dear SEELANGers,

A colleague in Life Sciences and I are working on designing a course that
deals with links between scientific research, political ideology, and
ethics.  We are looking at issues that appear in Russian novels and films
and how the same issues are discussed/debated in contemporary research circles.

My colleague is very interested in doing a unit on human cloning.  We are
looking for a Russian text or film that would be accessible to
non-Russian-speaking freshmen to fit into this unit.  We are already using
the two Bulgakov texts ("Fatal Eggs", "Heart of a Dog") in other units of
course, and I have already been thinking about possibly using the film "4",
but am afraid it may be too strange for college freshmen without much
knowledge of Russian history/literature/culture/cinema to get their minds
around.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.  Really, any suggestions at all,
even if not directly about human cloning (but somewhat related), will be
helpful!  Thanks!

Katia Bowers

k-bowers at northwestern.edu