Translation: 2 general points (Shagay, Soviet + Smert' Krasna)

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Fri Jun 13 05:38:52 UTC 2008

Dear all,

Just a couple of (perhaps somewhat contradictory) points in relation to
recent discussions.

First, I found the whole discussion of ŒNa miru I smert¹ krasna¹
fascinating.  Many thanks especially to Gasan Gusejnov.  I only want to say
to Gasan that he seemed rather severe at one point, saying something about
what a translator is OBLIGED to do.  Translating a proverb can often seem so
impossible that, as a translator, one can feel relieved if one can come up
with anything (whether newly made-up or already existing) that is remotely
appropriate.  It is not often that one can convey general sense, AND the
literal meaning, AND get the right tone, etc.

With regard to SHAGAY, SOVIET: one person (Sorry ­ I have forgotten who and
I have deleted the message), who clearly knew the film, made an excellent
suggestion using the phrase ŒStep forward¹.  But there were a surprising
number of suggestions, even after this, that were made simply on the basis
that Œthey sound idioimatic¹, without any real thought about what the phrase
actually MEANS in the  context of this film.  In spite of what I have
written above, MEANING REALLY DOES MATTER!

Best Wishes,

Robert