Klaudia Ulesko?

Julie Buckler buckler at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Jun 20 08:56:29 UTC 2008

I'm posting this inquiry for a colleague.  Please reply to him at the email
address below.  Thank you!

Is anybody interested in Klaudia Ulesko, a
Russian women gynecological pathologist who
published in Russian (which I cannot read) and
German (which I can read very poorly)?  I would
be happy to make my notes available to anyone
interested and even provide advice on the
scientific significance of her work.

The earliest reference I have to her is from
Jahresberichte ьber die Fortschritte der Anatomie
und Entwicklungsgeschichte, Erste Abtheilung Vol
12 (a German abstracting service covering
articles from 1883). Claudia Ulesco is reported
to have written a paper in Wratsch from the
histological laboratory of Dr. Lawdowsky in the
Institute for feminine medical Courses. Her
article is described as polemical and directed
against the investigations of Basilius Sokoloff.
She then disappears for some years with the
closure of the women's medical courses.

She reappears in 1892 as K. Ulesko-Stroganowa,
publishing in Zhurnal Akushertsva i Zhenskikh
Bolesnei and Monatsschrift fьr Geburtshьlfe und
Gynдkologie (by this time she has become a
doctor/Дrtzin). In the 1890s-early 1900s, she is
a participant in the meetings of the Obstetrical
and Gynecological Society of St. Petersburg. Her
published papers helped to sort out relationships
between cell-types at the maternal-fetal
interface in the pregnant uterus.

She publishes several papers up to 1908, when she
describes the maternal decidua as a defence
against invading cells of the placenta, then a
hiatus until 1924 when she resumes publishing in
Ob/Gyn journals and is described as a
Privatdozent at the State Clinical Institute of
Obstetrics and Gynecology in Leningrad. By 1929,
she has the title of Professor. I have
descriptions of her directing a laboratory in
experimental oncology. After 1931, she appears to
have published mainly in Russian. Evidence in the
English language for her later career comes from:

Baranova, E. I. (1966) Cytochemical investigation
of decidual cells of human placenta. Federation
Proceedings 25 (translation supplement):
T871-T873. [translated from Arkhiv Anatomii,
Gistologii i Embriologii 69 (11): 35].

Baranova refers to two books written by
Ulesko-Stroganowa (1926: The practice of
medicine, Leningrad; 1939: Normal and
pathological anatomy and histology of the female
reproductive organs. Medgiz, Leningrad). Her long
career (publications from 1883-1939) spans a very
interesting period in Russian/Soviet history)

David Haig (dhaig at oeb.harvard.edu)

Professor
Department of Organismic and Evolutionary Biology,
Harvard University,
26 Oxford Street, Cambridge MA 02138