FW: [SEELANGS] pronun. of "Medvedev" (cont.)

Jules Levin ameliede at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Mar 2 23:25:14 UTC 2008

At 11:56 AM 3/2/2008, you wrote:
>Jerry Katsell wrote:
>>Of course, on the morphemic level, the poor beast can no longer "know
>>the honey"
>[Encoding = Unicode UTF-8]
>
>He doesn't have to; he only needs to eat the
>honey. Medved' < med + ŭ + ěd, with the last
>root meaning "eat" and the whole word apparently
>a substitute for the original Indo-European word
>for "bear," which had become taboo.
>
>Bob Rothstein

wouldn't it better be [better bee?] medu- + e...?  Cf. Lith medus
Thus the 'v' would be a vestige of the original -u stem
The stem vowel is routinely (about 50% of the
time I believe) preserved in such compounds in CSLi, so that wouldn't be
a problem.

Jules Levin