pron. of "Medvedev" cont.

Mon Mar 3 02:46:47 UTC 2008

Deborah Hoffman wrote:

> Yes please don't make the second e sound like Nyet!

Well, it does, after all, but then I'm talking about the Russian
pronunciation and you're talking about the English one.

If we put a "y" in the spelling, an English speaker will give you a full
yod, not a palatalized consonant: "Mid-VYED-yiff" => "Мидвьедьиф." So at
least in the stressed syllable, it's better to omit it. And my taste
would be to omit both, but YMMV: "Mid-VED-iff" => "Мидвэдиф."

Note also that most Americans don't think "CyV" can be anything but two
syllables: "Kyocera" is pronounced "КИ-о-СЕ-ра," not "Кё-се-ра," and
"Hyundai" is solved by ignoring the "y." So we may well get people
seeing "Mid-VYED-yiff" and saying "Мид-ви-ЭД-йиф" with four syllables or
at best "Мид-ВЬЭД-йиф" with three and a half.

As for "э" vs. "эй" in the second syllable, I hear the raising/closing
in the Russian, but I don't like the English rendition "Mid-VEY-diff"
(Мид-ВЭЙ-диф) because only the end of the vowel is raised (the onset
remains low); we don't palatalize the /v/. The idea that an untrained
English speaker could say Мид-ВЕЙ-диф with a soft /v/ is a pipe dream.
And my guess is that a Russian needs no help hearing English "diff" as
диф and not дыф; the problem lies in convincing him that the English
"VEY" contains a soft /v/. On that I think we have to rely on his kind
indulgence.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com