medved' and Medvedev

Mon Mar 3 04:57:50 UTC 2008

Frank Y. Gladney wrote:

> Deborah Hoffman's Mid-VED-dyeff isn't bad, certainly better than Paul
> Gallagher's Mid-VED-iff with its bad syllabification.

Bad for Russian, necessary for English. How else will you get the lax
("short") vowel? Remember, English prohibits syllables ending with that
vowel (unless you count r-less British dialects, with "fair" as [fɛ:] etc.).

If you want to syllabify as "Mid-VED-yiff," I suppose that would be
tolerable, but it still sounds to me like a soft sign is being inserted.

This is inevitably a question of tradeoffs, of finding the least bad
mispronunciation, and if I have to accept a soft sign to get the correct
vowel in the stressed syllable, I'll do it. I won't like it, but I'll do
it, because I won't accept "эй" in the stressed syllable.

> But let's remember that palatalized dental stops in Russian are
> somewhat affricated.  So I propose Midge-VAY-jiff.

<wince>

Up with THAT I will not put.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.