short form Russian adjectives

John Dunn J.Dunn at SLAVONIC.ARTS.GLA.AC.UK
Mon Mar 3 16:51:17 UTC 2008

I think you are right as far as OCS, early Church Slavonic and, by extension, most of the liturgy are concerned.  I was talking about the late 17th and the 18th centuries, by which time, as far as I know, the influence of Greek had largely been superseded by that of Latin and, later, Polish, German and French.  The problem is that in the modern Russian participle you can see bits of all these influences (plus Ch.Slavonic's own tradition) and disentangling them is, I would think, more or less impossible.  Similar considerations, incidentally, apply to the formation of relative clauses.

John Dunn.

-----Original Message-----
From: colkitto <colkitto at ROGERS.COM>
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 10:31:35 -0500
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] short form Russian adjectives

Are Old Church Slavonic (and by extension in this context Russian) not
closer to Greek participles rather than Latin ones?

Latin is actually quite poor in participles (only a present active, future
active, and past passive) whereas Greejk has a participle for (I seem to
remember) almost every tense and voice.

And so much of the literatuire on Old Chruch Slavonic calques, etc., refers
to Greek rather than Latin.

Robert Orr

John Dunn
Honorary Research Fellow, SMLC (Slavonic Studies)
University of Glasgow, Scotland

Address:
Via Carolina Coronedi Berti 6
40137 Bologna