FW: [SEELANGS] pronun. of

jdingley at YORKU.CA jdingley at YORKU.CA
Mon Mar 3 21:58:50 UTC 2008

Hi,

>I'm not a Finnicist, but the finnish word looks
>suspiciously like an ancient borrowing from
>Indo-European, hence possibly also a taboo.

The Finnish word "karhu", the usual word for "bear" in Finnish, is not a
borrowing from IE. It is related to the words "karhea", "karkea", both
meaning "rough", "coarse". This root is Baltofinnic and is found in all
Baltofinnic languages.

"Karhu" is, however, a taboo word, being a calque on Swedish "björn"
"the brown one/the one with coarse hair".

Also calqued from Swedish is Finnish "verokarhu", "the taxman", cf.
Swedish "björn/björna" with meanings having to do with debt and tax.
This probably goes back to German, cf. "einen Bären anbinden" "to get
into debt", "einen Bären losbinden" "to pay off one's debts".

Finnish has other words for "bear", viz. "kontio", "nalle", "otso",
all three of uncertain origin but probably hypocorisms. There is one
more hypocorism, viz. "mesikämmen", the origin of which is clear, viz.
"honey + (palm of the) hand", somewhat similar to Russian "medved'".

John Dingley