Pronouciation of "Zdravstvyuitye"

Genevra Gerhart ggerhart at COMCAST.NET
Mon Mar 3 23:35:13 UTC 2008

Standard English? No. Americans cannot pronounce Standard English. "Yer" for
example.

Genevra Gerhart

ggerhart at comcast.net

www.genevragerhart.com
www.russiancommonknowledge.com

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of John Langran
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 12:54 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] Pronouciation of "Zdravstvyuitye"

Without wanting to start a long bear trail, I would be interested to know
what colleagues in the US think about a tried and tested method to get
beginners to pronounce the Russian word for "hello". I undestand that this
originated in British Navy Russian courses at the end of the 2ww, and is
still useful:
"English speakers sometimes find this hard to pronounce.  If you have a
standard English accent, try thinking of your donkey! Say "Does your ass fit

yer?" fairly quickly and slurring the first "D". The result is often very
close to "Çäð‚âñòâóéòå!". "

My question is, would this be too rude in American English to include in a
textbook?

John Langran
www.ruslan.co.uk

Checked by AVG Free Edition.