Pronouciation of "Zdravstvyuitye"

nataliek at UALBERTA.CA nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Tue Mar 4 23:13:12 UTC 2008

I second the language learning method below.  I have learned a number
of languages, some non-Indo-European.  And, while I do not teach
language per se now, though I often teach in Ukrainian, I have done a
LOT of language teaching in the past.  I have taught Russian, Turkish,
and Ukrainian.  When teaching, or when trying to learn, I think it is
easiest to stick with the target language.  Trying to find first
language equivalents, for pronunciation or whatever, just increases
student confusion.  If at all possible, best to stick with L2 (or
whatever number L it happens to be).

And I am all for having fun with a language, and with mnemonics, but I
would leave it at the fun level.  Joking around - great.  Playing with
a language - also great.  Serious teaching - not such a good idea.

Quoting Stephanie Sures <sdsures at GMAIL.COM>:

> Agreed. It's sloppy. And, dare I suggest...culturally insulting.
>
> When I took my first Introductory Russian course over 5 years ago, we
> learned words simply by reading and hearing our professor say them. Drills,
> exercises, role-plays with classmates - with the words exactly as they were
> written, practising until we could say them in our sleep. There's no reason
> to lower ourselves to debasing any language with mockery. To do otherwise
> denotes a lack of respect and cultural sensitivity. Isn't a love of culture
> partly why we study languages other than our own?
>
> Consider how English speakers would feel if, in the course of teaching ESL
> to non-English speakers, a phrase in another language was rendered so
> crudely. I don't think we would stand for it. Wouldn't we be bothered by it?
>
> Stephanie Sures
> B.A., Russian; Honours Psychology student
> University of Manitoba, Canada

Natalie Kononenko
Kule Chair of Ukrainian Ethnography
University of Alberta