Pronunciation of "Zdravstvyuitye"

Will Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Thu Mar 6 12:41:33 UTC 2008

I suppose it depends who you are talking to, and in what circumstances -
but in general yes. I have tried in vain to think of an outrage-inducing
mnemonic for privyet - 'privy' seemed at first to offer possibilities
but I decided it is too old-fashioned to have the desired impact.
Incidentally, the cover of the latest issue of that informative and
influential British periodical 'Private Eye' carries a picture of Prince
Harry in full battle array in Afghanistan, apparently about to kick a
donkey. Can you guess what the caption is?

Will Ryan