Another "boxwood" anecdote

Mon Mar 10 14:42:47 UTC 2008

colkitto wrote:

> It reminded me of listening to a certain American professor with a
> heavy accent saying two forms were in "apposition" - which didn't
> make sense until I realised he meant "opposition" ......

AFAIK, AE "apposition" has /æ/ as in "cat," which cannot possibly be
mistaken by another English speaker for our /a/ as in "father" and
"opposition," and certainly not for the lightly rounded version that BE
has in "opposition." What vowel did your "American" colleague have???

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com