Post-Secondary Russian Scholar Laureate Award--Impending Deadline

Ruder, Cynthia A Cynthia.Ruder at UKY.EDU
Thu Mar 13 14:49:27 UTC 2008

With apologies for a repeat send of this e-mail.  If you are on spring break and are having trouble getting your nomination in, please contact me OFF LIST at cynthia.ruder at uky.edu<mailto:cynthia.ruder at uky.edu>
NOMINATIONS CAN BE SUBMITTED

--VIA FAX to Professor Cynthia Ruder at Fax # 859-257-3743.  The machine is always on, so faxes can be received at any time;

--ON A PDF FILE AND SENT VIA E-MAIL IN ORDER TO EXPEDITE RECEIPT!!!

--Deadline 15 March 2008—Two days AWAY!

Second Annual Post-Secondary Russian Scholar Laureate Award

Colleagues!

We thank  those who already have submitted a nomination. For those of you who have not....

    ACTR is pleased to announce the second annual Post-Secondary
Russian Scholar Laureate Award (PSRSLA). This program at the
college/university level recognizes our outstanding students who are
studying Russian.  In 2007 18 students were nominated by their instructors
for this award.  The nominations revealed that there are some fantastic,
dedicated, talented students in our Russian programs around the country who
were honored. This year we would like to double participation in this
program which is a wonderful way to applaud the efforts of our best
students, while letting them know that we in the field appreciate and value
their achievements.  Moreover, because this is a selective, national
program, students will be able to exploit the award as further testament to
their skills and abilities as they enter the job market.
    The success of this program depends on you and me--Russian
instructors at the college/university level.  With that in mind I
encourage you to nominate a student from your institution to receive
this honor.  The PSRSLA is a FREE service to the profession; it requires
only your participation!  In order to assist you in submitting a nomination,
please follow these guidelines:

1.   Departments (be they independent or part of a larger Modern
Language department) may nominate ONE student from either the junior
or senior class.  Graduate students are NOT eligible for this award.

2.  Eligibility is based on achievement and interest in Russian as
demonstrated by enrollment in language courses, student GPA,
participation in programs such as exchanges, NPSREC (National Post-
Secondary Russian Essay Contest), Russian clubs or Russian houses, a
Russian major or minor. Note that a Russian major is not necessarily
a requirement for the award. We encourage you to nominate that
student who is the "star" of your program and who personifies a
dedication and commitment to Russian that is unparalleled among her/
his peers.  YOU NOMINATE THE STUDENT WHO AUTOMATICALLY THEN BECOMES A
Post-Secondary Russian Scholar Laureate.  ACTR does NOT select the Awardees;
this process is local at your institution.

3.  Nominations are to be submitted--electronically or via regular
mail--by Department chairpersons/Program Directors.  The nomination must be
submitted on departmental letterhead.  Send the nominations to Prof.
Cynthia Ruder at the address below.*

4.   **Nominating instructors must be current ACTR members.**
    **(It is never too late to join ACTR:)).  Simply go to the
www.americancouncils.org web site.  On the main page click the "Get
Involved" tab on the left side.  Then click "ACTR MEMBERSHIP" from
the list in the center of the page.  From there either download the
membership form and submit it or contact ACTR Secretary George Morris
at actrmbrs at sbcglobal.net.  It is easy, fast, and inexpensive.  Plus
you get the ACTR Newsletter and a subscription to RLJ, the Russian
Language Journal, with the appropriate membership fee.)

5.  DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS IS 15 MARCH 2008.  Each Laureate will
receive notification and an award certificate in April 2008.

We encourage you to avail your students of this program--it is free!
Help us show our best and brightest students how much we value their
commitment to Russian.  In order to protect student privacy we do not
include awardees' names in the ACTR Newsletter, but we do identify the
institutions that have participated.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me at
Cynthia.ruder at uky.edu.  I anxiously await your nominations!

Sincerely,  Cindy Ruder

*Cynthia A. Ruder
University of Kentucky