real English?

Fri Mar 14 21:06:04 UTC 2008

Edward M Dumanis wrote:

> However, going back to the original translation question, "rukoj
> podat'" does not suggest any visibility of the end point, and it
> seems that all "throw"-expressins somehow do suggest that. Am I
> wrong?

Depending on topography and manmade development, the end point of a
stone's throw might or might not be visible. But usually it would be.

For reference, a professional baseball player is considered exceptional
if he can throw a five-ounce (140 g) ball from the outfield to home
plate without bouncing it or allowing it to rise more than about 20 feet
(6 m) -- a distance of some 70-80 meters. If he were allowed complete
freedom, he might manage a 100-meter throw with a high point of 50
meters above the ground.

Figuratively, I think the expression might extend a little farther, but
not more than twice that distance.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com