> [SEELANGS] Russian expression

Ashot Vardanyan avardan at FREENET.AM
Sun Mar 16 14:11:38 UTC 2008

My guess is there could be two explanations: either the quality of the meals was bad -- cold, vapid, hard, etc., or the soldiers were so tired after a battle, march, etc., that they were unable to wake up and eat anything.

I would translate this sentence so:

"Since sll this [the food] was delivered in the night / at night, the soldiers couldn't eat the porridge if they tried."

Ashot Vardanyan,
University of Iowa

http://www.freenet.am/