risk of Russ. prog. liquidation (Randolph Coll.)

Prof Steven P Hill s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU
Mon Mar 17 06:21:24 UTC 2008

Dear colleagues and Prof Thresher:

Klawa Thresher's message from Randolph (see below) reminds me of
similar depts./programs that were in jeopardy a few years ago, and
which were discussed on this list-server.   If memory serves, such
situations had existed in San Francisco (was it San Fran. State Univ.?)
and in Portland, OR (was it Portland State College?).

Does anyone out there know how those two situations eventually
worked out?

Hoping for the best,
Steven P Hill,
University of Illinois.

Date: Mon 17 Mar 01:00:39 CDT 2008
From:  <LISTSERV at bama.ua.edu>
Subject: Re: GETPOST SEELANGS
To: "Steven P. Hill" <s-hill4 at UIUC.EDU>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:25:12 -0400
From: Klawa Thresher <kthresher at RANDOLPHCOLLEGE.EDU>
Subject: Russian Program to be eliminated

Dear Colleagues,
I am trying to gather some information that might help save our Russian
program, which our new president has said will be cut because he feels
that Russian is no longer relevant.  If you know of any Russian programs
that were threatened with closing but were saved and are still
flourishing (and that could be a relative term), I would very much
appreciate getting information about them.
I know that this happened at Ohio State, the University of Pittsburg and
Macalaster College. Since I do not know the details, if colleagues at
those institutions could give me some information (especially
statistics) I would be very grateful.
I would appreciate getting this information as soon as possible, as I
will be having a hearing on this on Friday (yes, Good Friday!)
You can send this to me at kthresher at randolphcollege.edu
Thank you in advance,
Klawa Thresher