Ten things you didn't know about Russia

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Tue Mar 18 18:32:34 UTC 2008

1. Matreshki came from Japan.
2. The greatest Russian poet is 1/8 Black (octoroon).
3. The last Russian czar was 1/256 Russian by blood.
4. St. Basil cathedral is the most un-Russian church, more like
Turkish, and for good reason: it was built on the occasion of the
taking of Kazan.
5. It was not the Bolsheviks who abolished the monarchy.
6. Peter the Great usurped the power from his older brother Ivan V.
7. Russia covers 11 time zones.

On Mar 18, 2008, at 1:47 PM, Andrew Jameson wrote:

> Dorogie SEELANGovtsy,
> I've been asked to write a not-too-serious lecture for the Annual
> General
> Meeting of a society concerned with Russian and Soviet studies. I'm
> calling
> it "Ten things you didn't know about Russia". Such things as: St Cyril
> didn't create the Cyrillic alphabet etc. etc.
> I'm wondering if you have any unusual or bizarre facts about Russia
> which
> you would like to share?
> Grateful for any ideas!
> Yours with best wishes
> Andrew Jameson
> Malvern UK

>   options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
> at:
> ---

Alina Israeli
LFS, American University