Ten things you didn't know about Russia

Josh Wilson jwilson at SRAS.ORG
Tue Mar 18 20:33:19 UTC 2008

Russia produces some 12% of the world's aluminum, controls 20% of the world
gem stone market, contains a third of the world's unmined diamonds, about a
quarter (maybe more) of the world's unmined gold, and supplies 8% of the
world's uranium needs.

More info on that sort of thing here:
http://www.sras.org/library_resource_export_russia

You might also mention something about the fact that Russia is #3 in
software outsourcing, was also #3 in IPOs (by money raised) in the first
half of 2007, and Moscow is this year's hottest location for opening new
retail locations in Europe (and St. Pete is number #2).

In less glittering news, Russia is #2 in the production of email SPAM (the
US is still #1) and #1 in the production of Malware (harmful programs like
viruses).

Oh, and the wall around Red Square looks pretty red to me and reds or red
hues are the dominant motif there - the real story is the fact that "red"
and "beautiful" used to be the same word in Russian.

Josh Wilson
Asst. Director
The School of Russian and Asian Studies
Editor-in-Chief
Vestnik, The Journal of Russian and Asian Studies
www.sras.org
jwilson at sras.org