image of the foreigner: Petrushevskaya's song

Alexandra Smith Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK
Thu Mar 20 09:21:08 UTC 2008

I forgot to add to my list Petrushevskaya's song My Boy about a
wealthy disabled English(?) financial adviser who lives in a large
apartment in Moscow. He is compared to Karl Marx...The song (2003) is
truly bizzare and is performed by Petrushevskaya herself (the disc
with her songs is titled Seredina Bol'shogo Iuliusa). You could here
the song here: http://www.zvuki.ru/T/P/23393/mp3/5

All best,
Alexandra

Alexandra Smith (PhD, University of London)
Lecturer in Russian
School of European Languages and Cultures
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower
George Square
Edinburgh EX8 9JX
UK

tel. +44-(0)131-6511381
fax: +44- (0)131- 650-3604
e-mail: Alexandra.Smith at ed.ac.uk

Quoting Alexandra Smith <Alexandra.Smith at ED.AC.UK>:

> My apologies to the list regards sending by mistake several messages
> instead of   one message! I had some problems with the internet
> connection and/or my computer...
> Regards the image of foreigners, I think that nobody has mentioned
> Pushkin's Egyptian Nights yet, and there is a visiting German poet who
> recites Schiller's poem for the Russian audience in Karolina Pavlova's
> Double life; and Bulgakov's Master and Margarita comes to mind, too;
> Platonov Epifanskie shliuzy; Chaianov "Neobychainye, no istinnye
> prikliucheniia Grafa Fedora Mikhailovicha Buturlina", Vladimir
> Odoevsky's utopian novel "4338-j god"; Vladimir Sorokin "Goluboe salo";
> Pelevin's story "The Tambourine of the Upper World" and in Pelevin's
> "Chapaev and Pustota" there are some Japanese businessmen; Daniil
> Granin "Prekrasnaia Ute"; Petrushevskaia Kukol'nyj roman (there is a
> Barbie doll), lots of them in Kataev's and Erenburg's travelogues,
> too...
>

> All best,
> Alexandra Smith
>

> --

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.