Composers in Literature

Janneke van de Stadt Janneke.vandeStadt at WILLIAMS.EDU
Fri Mar 21 16:46:44 UTC 2008

Many thanks to all you responded to my query on composers in
literature.  We've come up with quite a collection!

Several members  expressed interest in seeing the list, so I am
pasting it below.  I should say from the outset that it does not
include all the suggestions contributed simply because some of them
extended beyond my current focus (no poetry or critical essays, for
example).

Once again, many thanks, and feel free to keep adding to it!

Janneke

Literature on Composers

1-“Mozart i Salieri” Pushkin
2-“Amadeus” Peter Shaffer
3-Master i Margarita (names of composers)
4-Dr Faustus (Thomas Mann)
5-“Symphonie Pathetique” Klaus Mann
6-Polonaise, Guy de Pourtales
7-Ritter Gluck Rat Krespel, Kreisleriana, Kater Murr,  E.T.A Hoffmann
8-Odoevsky, “Bakh” and “Poslednii kvartet Betkhovena”
9-Sollogub, “Istoriia dvukh kolosh”
10- “The Ground Beneath her Feet” Salman Rushdie
11- “The Silence of Thelonius Monk” John Edgar Wideman
12-“Forest Song” Lesya Ukrainka
13-“Sila Nepostizhimogo” Alexander Grin
14-“Rakhmaninov” and “Chaikovsky” from Yuri Nagibin’s Vecnhye
Sputniki  (Vechnaia muzyka?)
15”Resurrection of Mozart” and “Chaikovsky” Nina Berberova
16-“Osuzhdenie Paganini” Anatolii Vinogradov
17-“Korzyna s elovymi shishkami” (Grieg) and “Staryi povar”
Konstantin Paustovsky
18-“Consuelo” George Sand
19-“Kstalt milosci” Jerzy Broszkiewicz (on Chopin)
20-A Clockwork Orange (there’s a Danish composer in here), Anthony
Burgess
21- “The Hilda Tablet Plays” by Henry Reed (BBC Radio Comedy)
22-“Kompozitor,” by Kaverin
23- “Scriabin” Friedrich Gorenstein
24- “Dvorak in Love” Skvorecky
25-Karl Capek “Zivot a dilo skladatele foltyna” (“The Cheat,”
unfinished)
26-Alejo Carpentier “Concierto barroco” and “Los pasos perdidos”
27-Pascal Quignard “Tous les matins du monde”
28-“Lost Art” (sci-fi, Strauss reincarnated) James Blish
29-“Le grand magicien” Christian Jacq
30-“Das Genie einer Nacht” Stefan Zweig
31- “Der abentheuerliche, wunderbare und unerhoerte Ritter
Hopffensack” Johann Beer
32- “Phrynis Mitilenaeus oder Satyrischer Componist” Caspar Printz