about borsht

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Sat Mar 22 14:06:37 UTC 2008

John Langran wrote:
> Рецептов борща уйма. Сколько хозяек - столько и рецептов!

How true - and for confusion worse confounded compare cookbooks and
dictionaries. I once had to copy-edit the Russian section of an
(English-language) encyclopedia of cookery and found that it contained
five different recipes for borshch, each with its own spelling of
borshch, and, if I remember correctly, a couple more for borshchok, the
variant of course being 'shch'.

Will Ryan