Writing Mapping Project -- Where are Students Writing

Nina Shevchuk n_shevchuk at YAHOO.COM
Mon Mar 24 20:47:14 UTC 2008

Dear SEELANGers:
 I am posting this on behalf of Dr. Chris Thaiss and the International
 WAC/WID Mapping Project at UC-Davis (Research on Activity/Initiatives
 Worldwide Devoted to Student Writing in Disciplines).
 Begun in 2006, this project aims to identify, compile, analyze, and
 facilitate activity and interest in writing in the disciplines in higher
 education around the world. We are interested both in first-language and
 English-language initiatives. We are also interested in graduate-level
 initiatives, but we pay primary attention to undergraduate,
 college-university activities focused in disciplines, as well as academic

 writing centers or similar services devoted to working with students and
 faculty/staff in and across disciplines.

 The Project is sponsored in part by the International Network of WAC
 Programs (INWAC).

 As teachers and colleagues, we hope you will take a moment to complete a
 brief survey on this website: http://mappingproject.ucdavis.edu/preliminarysurvey/
  The survey collects confidential data about students' writing in your
 program. At this stage, researchers are especially interested in student
 writing in and across disciplines other than English, including other
 languages. For us, as teachers of Russian, this survey also represents a
 chance to reflect upon our own disciplinary practices in regards to
 writing as a learning tool at all stages of language acquisition and,
 later on, in inter-cultural studies.

 The investigators welcome your comments. You can contact Dr. Thaiss at cjthaiss at ucdavis.edu

Best regards,

Nina Shevchuk-Murray